Monday, September 8, 2008

Pregnancy excitement

I was so tired that I could barely stay awake in my classes. I was nauseous all the time, but I wasn't throwing up much. I just had a "blah" feeling. I was finding it hard to keep the pregnancy secret because we were both really, really excited!

Aaron and I went to California at the first of May to take a vacation between semesters. We stayed with his brother and wife, Jason and Robin, in Orange County, CA. They had just had a baby girl, Hailey, the December before who was now six months old. Aaron and I had plans to go to Disneyland, and Robin and Hailey decided to join us. Hmmmm, our first road block in keeping our "secret." We had to explain to Robin that I couldn't go on the roller coasters. She asked why, and we hemmed and hawed about it until she finally looked right at me and asked excitedly if I was pregnant. We couldn't deny it at all, we were bursting with excitement. She was so excited and said that she knew how we should tell Jason when he got home from work.

We were eating out at a restaurant that night and we handed Jason a tiny little diaper where we had written on it that Baby Groff would be joining the family on January 3, 2003. He was surprised and excited, and of course we were too.

Disneyland ended up being an adventure. It actually worked out really well because there were so many rides that I couldn't go on and I just stayed back and tended Hailey while Robin and Aaron were able to enjoy the rides. We all had a good time.

Robin was so excited to pass some things on to me and sent me home with a bassinet and a breast pump, as well as a bunch of diapers that were too small for Hailey, maternity clothes, and baby clothes. I went to the store and bought two little Disney baby outfits to commemorate our Disneyland trip, since our baby was technically with us the whole time.

On our drive back to SLC, we stopped in St. George to visit my parents. We decided that since the cat was out of the bag, that we would go ahead and tell our families, but no one else! So we did the little diaper thing for my parents as well, and they were of course so thrilled. We were growing more and more excited by the minute.

When we got home, all I wanted to do was set up the bassinet in our second bedroom and get started on the nursery right away. I held off on this though because we still weren't spreading the news to everyone just yet and I didn't want all of my friends/neighbors to see the nursery since we weren't telling yet. It was very difficult to suppress that, I wanted so badly to decorate!

2 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

I think there's a way to modify the date of your posts (Steph told me about it). I think that would be less confusing for someone who thinks these are current postings--including me. I keep reading about miscarriage and my first thought goes to your current baby!

Groff Family said...

Thanks for the tip, Lara! Problem is, I don't remember exactly which days things happened on, I just remember the round about time, like first of May, etc.